Dripping Springs Cook-Off Club
Some Rules and Guidelines
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS
- Set up/Check in time for competitors: 9:00 am
- Head cook meeting: 9:30 am
- Space Locations are on a first come, first serve basis.
- NO parking on the grass area at the triangle.
- ONLY gas grills, propane stoves or electric appliances allowed for cooking and preparing salsa.
- NO CHARCOAL OR WOOD FIRES.
- NO glass containers/bottles.
- Each team must have a head cook.
- Head cooks must attend the Head Cook meeting to receive judging containers.
- Chili meat and Salsa ingredients will be inspected after the head cook’s meeting.
- NO vendors are allowed to enter the contests – individual cooks only.
- Teams must supply their own equipment, supplies and ingredients.
- All grease drippings must be contained and disposed of properly.
- Tip jars are allowed for samples – food MAY NOT be sold.
- Teams must supply their own water and tent canopies for shade.
- Electricity will be available.
- The Head Cook is responsible for all cleanup of the team’s space.
- The Head Cook is responsible for the conduct of their team and their guests.
- The Cook-off Club will retain 15% of the salsa entry fees prior to splitting the cash pot among winners.
- The Cook-off Club officers reserve the right to make additional regulations as situations warrant.
- Decisions of the officers shall be final.
- Excessive use of alcoholic beverages will be grounds for disqualification.
- All rules will be enforced and refusal to abide by them will results in immediate disqualification and eviction from the grounds with no refund of fees paid.
CHILI COOK-OFF AND SALSA CONTEST RULES
- NO pre-seasoning or marinating of meat allowed until after inspection.
- NO commercial chili mixes or canned chili allowed.
- NO beans or other fillers allowed in chili.
- All salsa ingredients must be chopped and blended on site. Chunky pico-type salsa is not permitted.
- NO bottle or pre-mixed salsas allowed.
- NO garnishes allowed in chili or salsa.
- Chili will be judged on aroma, consistency, color, taste and aftertaste.
- Salsa must be tomato based, no green salsas permitted.
- Salsa will be judged on appearance, flavor, consistency and aftertaste.
PUMPKIN DECORATING RULES
- Pumpkin inspection will begin at 10:00 am
- Hollowing and/or pre-carving of pumpkins may NOT occur until after pumpkins have been inspected.
- Teams must supply their own pumpkins.
- Pumpkins will be judged on detail, design, uniqueness, attraction and materials.